From the Comporium (RHTC) Archives
The first telephones in Rock Hill were installed in 1880 by individual businessmen forming "The Enterprise Telephone Company". Due to patent infringements with Bell Telephone, this operation was closed. With the expiration of the first Bell patents in 1894, independent telephone companies quickly sprang up in the growing communities of the South.
To reduce the number of trips made each day to the railway station to check on shipments, Mr. Anderson of the Holler-Anderson Buggy Company bought two magneto instruments from a telephone manufacturer in Sumter, South Carolina and ran a single telephone wire between the buggy company and the train depot. Public and merchant interest in this first line led to the birth of the Rock Hill Telephone Company